Where We Are
Perivale Wood – Location
Perivale Wood – Ecology
The Reserve occupies a total of 27 acres (11 hectares), with a rich variety of habitats:
- 18 acres (7.3 hectares) of ancient woodland
- 5 acres (2 hectares) of grassland and pasture
- 2 acres (0.8 hectare) of damp scrub
- 2 acres (0.8 hectare) of (relatively) recently disturbed land, which has a very different vegetation from the ancient wood
- More than 5 million bluebells (this estimate is taken from Nic Ferriday’s Flora of Perivale Wood (2008)
There are also four ponds, two small streams, ditches and hedgerows some of which have
been recently laid and planted.
Perivale Wood – History
A written record of the Wood dates back to 1227 in the Victoria County History, and it is an ancient woodland. The definition of ‘ancient woodland’ is that the site has existed as woodland since 1600 (Rackham 1989). It does not mean that the trees are as old. It is a traditional English oak woodland, with a rich variety of species including hazel, elm, wild service, willow and ash.
The Wood was known in earlier centuries as Braddish, Braddidge, or Broad Hedge Wood, reflecting the broad hedgerow along the eastern side of the wood which marks the boundary between the parishes of Greenford and Perivale. Confusingly, Perivale Wood itself is actually in the parish of Greenford.